Cal Grants
Cal Grants provide up to $12,192 a year for college or up to $2,592 for career and technical training. Cal Grants may be used at any University of California, California State University, or California Community College campus, as well as many independent and career colleges and vocational programs in California. (*Cal Grants do not have to be paid back!*)

To qualify for a Cal Grant:

  • Submit the FAFSA and the verified Cal Grant GPA by the deadline (March 2)
    • GPA Verification Forms are in the Counseling Office
  • Be a California resident

  • Be a US Citizen or an eligible noncitizen

  • Have financial need

  • Meet any minimum GPA requirement

  • Meet US Selective Service requirements (most males ages 18-25)

  • Attend a qualifying California postsecondary institution

  • Be enrolled at least half time

  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by their school
  • Have family income and assests below the established ceilings
  • Not be in default on any student loan or owe a refund on a federal or state grant

Cal Grant A Entitlement awards can be used for tuition and fees at public and private colleges as well as some private career colleges. At CSU and UC schools, this Cal Grant covers systemwide fees up to $5,472 and $12,192 respectively. If you are attending a private college, it pays up to $9,708 toward tuition and fees. To get this Cal Grant, you need to be working toward a two-year or four-year degree.

Cal Grant B Entitlement awards provides low-income students with a living allowance and assistance with tuition and fees. Most first-year students receive an allowance of up to $1,551 for books and living expenses. After the freshman year, Cal Grant B also helps pay tuition and fees in the same amount as a Cal Grant A. For a Cal Grant B, your coursework must be for at least one academic year.

Cal Grant C awards help pay for tuition and training costs at occupational or career technical schools. This $576 award is for books, tools and equipment. You may also receive up to an additional $2,592 for tuition at a school other than a California Community College. To qualify, you must enroll in a vocational program that is at least four months long at a California Community College, private college, or a career technical school. Funding is available for up to two years, depending on the length of your program.

Cal Grant A and B Competitive Awards are for students who aren't eligible for the Entitlement awards. The main difference is that these awards are not guaranteed.

Cal Grant A Competitive Awards are for students with a minimum 3.0 GPA who are from low-and middle-income families. These awards help pay tuition and fees at qualifying schools with academic programs that are at least two years in length.

Cal Grant B Competitive Awards are for students with a minimum 2.0 GPA who are from disadvantaged and low-income families. These awards can be used for tuition, fees and access costs at qualifying schools whose programs are at least one year in length. If you get a Cal Grant B Competitive Award it can only be used for access costs in the first year. These costs include living expenses, transportation, supplies and books. Beginning with the second year, you can use your Cal Grant B Competitive Award to help pay tuition and fees at public or private four-year colleges or other qualifying schools.

For more information on Cal Grants, please visit

For even more information on Cal Grants, please visit